Friday, September 29, 2006

Shepard Fairey







Shepard Fairey is one of my favorite artists. I feel especially fond of him, as I had the amazing opportunity of growing-up around him. I was in highschool when he was in RISD, and he used to skate with several of my good friends. I never knew him to speak of, but his face floods me with memories, I remember him being around... and having been part of the original incarnation of this huge production that has become the OBEY empire, I feel ridiculously proud
of him... I remember the 'Buddy Billboard'...
I remember the police coming to Fellini's - the coffee shop we all used to hang out at- looking for info on him. Buddy was not amused...
everyone else was, and Shepard Fairey became legend.

...and now he has stationary! stationary I WANT!...

Obey Stationery Set: "Andre the Giant has a Posse - and he's going postal! Shepard 'OBEY GIANT' Fairey has turned the urban landscapes of the world into art galleries with his poster and sticker crusade and taken over your local skate store with his line of clothing. Now, the czar of absurdist propaganda manipulates the U.S. Mail to spread the word. You and your comrades can join the Posse with this revolutionary stationery set. Comes with 8 letter sheets, 6 envelopes, 1 sticker sheet and punch out stencil."




kopenhagen, DK -6. maj 2004: Interview med Shepard Fairey:
"Is there a message in your work?
The message with my work is: ”question everything…question everything that you are bombarded with”. I think the main things that I'm interested in, and that I'd like to deconstruct with my work, is how emotionally potent images and phrases are used to indoctrinate people, whether it's advertising or politics. How everything is turned into a symbol and that you have to be very suspicious of what kind of spin people are putting on things."



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see more of Shep's work (I'd call it phenomenal but that seems overtly literal when I mean it in the "exceedingly or unbelievably great" way). I absolutely love it.

You know, in NO WAY do I ever wish I were a teenager again...however, when it comes to feeling like you're a part of something, that you belong to a place and that place belongs to you...the fortune of spending our young adulthood in Providence, and the people around us who --with us-- made it what it was, was nothing short of magnificent.

And I still have a sticker or two around here somewhere...

15:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home